Faeland Place Names

From Anglo-American Cyclopaedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Most Faeland Place Names are derived from Faelish and colonial languages. Both groups used names to commemorate notable people, events, places from their homeland, ships, or to describe surrounding geographic features. Many off-island cartographers have named the main island itself and the archipelago over millennia of external contact, resulting in multiple names for Faeland (historical and otherwise). The longstanding English exonym "Faeland" has the most widespread currency today.

A significant portion of early Faelish place names were already being supplanted by colonizers as early as the Roman period (e.g. the Latin Coast). Throughout the late 16th to early 19th centuries this process intensified during the European Age of Imperialism, most significantly in The Shore, Vincennes Basin, Dhíall, and in the Midlands with the establishment of garrison "hill stations" such as Huntsham.

Government amendments in 1903 and the establishment of an independent Faelish Geographic Board in the mid-1960s led to the encouragement of original Faelish names, although differing spellings/pronunciations and/or alternate colonial names persisted in a sort of tandem use. Many names now have alternative or dual colonial and Faelish names or -in a few rare cases- dual Faelish names or dual colonial names. Place names are not "made official" as far most governments of the islands are concerned, but if they are mentioned in authoritative publications they are often considered by law as recorded and accepted names.