Military of Valania
The Military of Valania has no official name but is officially referred to as Our Sentinels. More colloquially, "Common Guards" is heard. The national defense of Faeland is the explicit responsibility of the Directory. Since Faeland is neutral, the top level command structure has not been tested thoroughly in wartime. Each state contributes either money or trained forces to the collective military, with the chiefs of staff being the top level military commanders of the respective nations, headed by the current Federal Chancellor. Men and materiel sent on joint expeditionary forces are often placed under the command of an allied officer.
Administratively, each state supplies a "regiment," independent in supply, command and training, to the national force. Historically, the Pentapoli and Fíl have provided the bulk of the infantry, Lito and Falx the bulk of the naval forces. According to the Organic Law, no member state may raise its own military force without authorization from the Directory (in practice there are many units authorized, and in one instance there was a notice of pre-approval).
All told, the military employs approximately 34,700 active personnel, or .009% of the population.
Purpose and Tasks
As defined by the Organic Law, the purpose of the Common Protection is to prevent armed conflicts of any kind, vouchsafe the sovereignty of the Comity of Nations and all her Member States, and preserve for the benefit of the nation historic consciousness in the face of advancing amnesia.
Its primary tasks are to detect and repel any trespass into the sovereign territories of the V.F., internal missions in the area of crises-control and humanitarian capacities, and participation in "total defense" in cooperation with civilian resources and finally maintain an adequate force to perform these tasks at all times.
Each command has a special jurisdiction of physical military operation as well as close links logistically with the other commands. While the various groups that make up each command are responsible for their own training, supply, administration, etc., there is mutual assistance wherever possible. For instance, most air support for the Land Command is provided by the Air Command, instead of having the land forces produce their own fleet.
The Land Command
Although the total number of infantry soldiers is comparatively low, there are a disproportionately high number of vertically integrated regiments. Each State provides a regiment, but strength and duties vary considerably. While most regiments account for the entire population of a member state, some states, such as the Kingdom and Pentapoli, have more than one regiment, with traditional recruiting grounds within their own borders.
Some regiments have different names in their native languages, and organizational structures that work within but are not descended from the regimental system.
The regiments are (with origin in parentheses): purpose [estimated strength]
- Faelish Rifle Regiment (Fíl & New Norwich) - tactical (and mechanized) infantry [15,000]
- Alagard Regiment (Fíl) - amphibious infantry [1,500]
- 2nd Highland Ranger Regiment (Fíl) - specialized infantry [1,000]
- Royal Irish Regiment (Fíl) - tactical infantry 
- Larnic-Murchadh Cavalry Regiment (Fíl) - armoured infantry [1,000]
- King's Regiment of Langoliers (Fíl) - airborne infantry 
- The Latin Guards (Quattuor Legiones, The Four Legions) (Pentapoli) - tactical (and mechanized) infantry [9,000]
- Dhíalleen Army (Arm na Dhíalleann) (Dhíall) - tactical infantry [1,000]
- The Roman Guards (Exercitus, The Army) (Falcatta) - tactical and amphibious infantry [1,000]
- North Shore Regiment (Lito) - tactical infantry [2,000]
- Hanover Regiment (Lito) - specialized infantry 
- Valadurian Regiment (Ejercito de Valaduria, Army of Valaduria) (Valaduria) - mechanized infantry [1,000]
- St. James Regiment (Corpo Médico da Armada, Army Medical Corps) (Cautillo & Vila do Infante) - medical support 
- Order of Valony (Ordre de Valony) (Argentau) - specialized infantry 
The Sea Command
Collectively known as The Old Navy, the Sea Command functions largely as an admiralty of procurement, maintenance, and logistical support for the fleets per se.
- "The Fleet" (classis) (Falcatta) - navy [4 ships/987 regular seamen]
- Lito Naval Service - (Lito) navy [6 ships/1,012 regular seamen]
The Air Command
The Faelish Air Corps (FAC), the air force of Faeland, was appropriated as a federal service arm from the military of Lito on March 12, 1959, by referendum. It is the only military branch fully funded, administered, and operated by the General Government. After the Faelish Civil War Faeland was made a federation by popular accord and the armies of Lito had the only intact and independent air force. This they organized using the British RAF as a model. After a federal debate questioning the legality of the Member State swearing loyalty to the British Crown, it was decided that the air force should not be under the sole administration of the government of Lito.
Ultimately a settlement was reached. Lito was permitted to retain their ground forces, which could be checked by other units; but Lito's air force was put under national administration.
Today the FAC has a personnel strength of 2,507 and operates 15 aircraft, including 5 combat jets (Pilatus PC-9s and Alenia Aermacchi M-346 Masters), 2 transports (Alenia C-27J Spartans) and 3 helicopters. The transport capacity will be improved with the delivery of two C-130Js and an upgrade program for the C-130Hs.
There are discussions in place to place the FAC under the authority of the D.R.A. who as of yet make no national contribution to common defense. As a preliminary step, the headquarters has been relocated to Hekajt and airstrips are being built in the archipelago.