|Sovereign City of Griswold|
|Motto:||Latin: Non bene pro toto libertas venditur auro.|
English: Liberty is not sold for all the gold in the world.
|Chamber of Deputies:|
|Last Election:||April 23, 2015|
16.7 sq. mi.
Griswold (Faelish: Çafhilen, Fr.: Savillaun), officially the Sovereign City of Griswold, is the most populous city in Faeland, with a 2014 estimated population of 502,123. It is the only foral, or city-state, in Faeland that was not a sovereign territory before the war of independence. It encompasses a land area of 16.7 square miles on the eastern shore of Faeland, in the Trifluvian Basin completely surrounded by the Ríocht Fíl. It is the most densely settled large city (population greater than 200,000) in the Comity of Nations. Griswold is the financial, cultural, and transportation center of the Porromar Bay Area, a region of more than 2 million people.
In 1796, the English established a fort to protect several English-speaking settlements in the delta. It is in that year that what is today Griswold properly begins. The activities of the Dukes of Faeland in the mid to late 1800's propelled the city into a period of rapid growth, increasing the population in one year alone (1857) from 5,000 to 73,000 with the settlement of Crimean War veterans. Thus was Griswold transformed into the largest English-speaking city of The Shore, surpassing Georgetown in 1865 as its connection to the Duchy's interior stoked the local economy. After three-quarters of the city was destroyed during the Faelish civil wars, Griswold was quickly rebuilt. During World War II, it was the main port of embarkation for volunteers shipping out to the European Theater. After the war, the confluence of returning servicemen, massive immigration, liberalizing attitudes, and other factors led to the city's meteoric growth, and cemented Griswold as a center of liberalism in the Valanian Federate.
Today, Griswold is a popular tourist destination, renowned for clement weather, scenic river views, an eclectic mix of Victorian and modern architecture and its famous museums, parks, theaters, and colorful neighborhoods, such as Little Brabant, where a large Dutch community settled in the 1950's, and Baraugh, the "Old Town". The city is also a principal banking and finance center, and the home of four national financial institutions.
The state of Griswold consists of several distinct districts: Griswold city, which is the capital, and the cities of the surrounding area and river islands. All are located in the Trifluvian Basin. The city-state is completely surrounded by the neighboring state of Ríocht Fíl.
The city-state of Griswold consists of several contiguous "cities" divided into administrative subdivisions: Griswold, colloquially 'the City', which is the seat of government, and ten wards: Burgess, East Norwich, Reims, Scribner, Booker, Alton, Williams, Portsmouth, The Tine, and Lapis. All are located on the Çafhilen Harbor. Legally there is only the single city of Griswold; in practice, however, the wards are often treated as legal municipalities with guaranteed rights.
As of 2010, Griswold had a population of 3,547,700 of whom about 107,000 (~30%) were of non-Faelish origin/ethnicity (non-Faelish nationals included — e.g. Caudians, Aroese, Dhialleen, etc.).
Number of minorities (1st and 2nd generation) in Griswold by country of origin as of June, 12 2010:
Main article: History of Griswold
The first historical mention of the settlement that we now call Griswold was during the first Caesarean invasion of Faeland. At the time, King Sibilaunus ruled from a wooden fort/castle at the site. The ancient name for the town was Çafhilen ("Deep City").
In the 9th century a Norman longphort or naval encampment was sited here. Although not properly colonized, the settlement called "Norvhk" maintained contact with both Normandy and Bjorn's Mediterranean outposts.
Named for the rocky and forested coastline, Griswold was founded by Lord Brixton in 1509 as part of the Royal Commission of Queen Elizabeth I. Brixton wrote to the Directors of the Commission that he had "discovered" a perfect site (the existing city of Savillaun, as named by the French) in the Trifluvian Delta which he felt was safe from tidal surges and storms and proposed that the new capital of the colony be built there. Permission was granted, and Brixton founded Griswold on May 7, 1509. By 1519, sufficient huts and storage houses had been built that England began moving provisions and troops to defend the new naval port. Following disagreements with the chief engineer, Sir Weber Rawlings, regarding the projected growth of the city, Brixton's aide - Phelan Eileanóra - ordered an assistant engineer, John Plaincourt, to draw up new plans in 1520. He created the eleven-by-seven block rectangle now known as the English Quarter or the Old Ville. After establishing the city, however, du Puis was rarely in residence, as his governorship took him on extensive travels throughout The Shore.
At the end of the Faelish Civil War in 1925 City of Griswold was not an immediate candidate for statehood. It became a sovereign state after much consternation over Anglo-Irish relations to the south in Lito. Its currency was the British pound. Griswold became one of 11 sovereign states of the Federated Republics of Faeland. In 1955 the state of Riocht Fil became a monarchy, and Griswold thus became a member of the Federated States.
Main article: Politics of Griswold
The legislature of the state of Griswold is the Chamber of Deputies (a representative assembly), elected by the citizens in the various wards. Seats in the Chamber are apportioned among the wards by population, as determined by the census conducted every ten years. Each ward, however, is entitled to at least five deputies.
The executive is constituted by the President of Griswold and his Council, elected by popular vote and the Chamber, respectively. The Chamber selects from its members a Mayor who serves as deputy to the president. In contrast to the presidents of other states, the President of Griswold has no authority to override the Council on policy, which is decided upon by the Council collectively. Since 1955, the Chamber has often been dominated by the People's Democracy Party.
On a municipal level, the eleven wards in the state are administered separately:
- The administration of the ward of Griswold is headed by the President and Mayor and controlled by the portion of the Chamber elected in that ward.
- The other wards have municipal assemblies distinct from the state legislature and an administration under distinct Aldermen with their own substrate political structures.
Griswold is the most-developed economic center in the Valanian Federate. More than 2 million persons are employed in and around the city.
Griswold is the financial and business capital of Faeland. Many large Faelish corporations and banks have their headquarters in Griswold, including The Royal Bank of Faeland, Akzo Nobel, Faeldünkel International, and the NG Group, because surrounding communities do not allow full land ownership due to Ríocht Fíl's land-lease system (the Commons of Faeland are ostensibly the property of the monarch).
Though many small offices are still located in the core wards, companies are increasingly relocating outside the city center. The Marine Wards (wards located on islands) have become new financial and legal magnets. The five largest law firms of the country, a number of subsidiaries of large consulting firms like Norwich Consulting Group and AccentFil, and the Trade Center of Faeland are also located here.
There are three other smaller financial districts in Griswold. The first is the area surrounding Griswold Central City Station railway station, where several newspapers like the Griswold Telegraph have their offices. Also, the municipal public transport company and the Griswold tax offices are located there. The second Financial District is the area surrounding Griswold Sports Palace.
The Griswold Stock Exchange (NNSE), nowadays part of Euronext, is one of Europe's smaller houses. It is situated near President's Square in the city's center.
Griswold has an international airport situated to the west of the city.
Griswold Trainway Corporation, often abbreviated GTC, is the public transport provider for the city-state, offering train and bus services.
The "Trainway" covers the Greater Griswold Metropolitan Region (being incorporated as well in Ríocht Fíl for the purpose), from West Norwich in the west to Kingston in the south and to Tragh in the north, radiating from Central City Station. It has been in operation since 1952. This network has unified existing regional transport in the Wards of Griswold as well as surrounding cities since that time. The network by special charter operates its own tariff structure with government oversight, and is therefore a semi-independent agency.
The University of Griswold is the largest university in the city-state. Furthermore Griswold has a University of the Arts, specializing in film and photography, and more recently the Frederik University Griswold, specializing in business and economics.